Child support and seperating

I am still new to NC, I haven’t been here for 6 months yet. My husband lives in Florida and won’t file anything because he will be paying child support. I am looking at moving back to Florida in January and wanted to know if I should start this process here so I can at least have some sort of child support set in place or should I wait until I am in Florida and file a divorce after 6 months of living there. I appreciate your time and help.

You will be unable to file for custody or child support in NC unless you have been a resident of the State of NC for at least 6 months and the children have resided in NC for at least 6 months. Even when you do file, it will take several months for a court order to be put into place, and you may be back in Florida at that time.

If Florida is the children’s home state (where they have lived the last 6 months), you may be able to file in Florida.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.