Spouse and Child in other state


No one commented. Strange


If you have been separated for over one year and have lived in NC for the past six months, you can file for divorce in North Carolina. We have the forms and instructions included on our website. Filing for divorce will not impact child custody or child support, those issues can still be determined by a court that has jurisdiction.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax
email: angel@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am in NC for last one year. I need to file simple divorce. We have been separated for 2.5 years.

Since NC court will not have jurisdication over Support and Child.

I was thinking of filing myself as I have done some legal work.

I understand if I file, I can get divorce in 1 month.

I will appreciate any comments.