Child Support Arrears Questions

My husband has a child support arrears case coming up. The case is in a county that neither he or his ex live there for over 20 years or their shared child,who is now 18. The ex had a family member who worked at the courthouse in that county file there for her. Is there a way to get that case moved to the county we or his ex actually live in?

My husband has paid car insurance, cell phone bills, provided his child with a car, paid for extracurriculars and tutoring, which were not part of the original child support order. Will that be taken into consideration when he has his hearing? Can that possibly reduce arrears?

My husband is making significantly less money now than when the order was originally put in place. He also pays alimony to his ex. Can that ne reduced?

We have a child together if that makes any difference.

He would need to file a motion to change venue in the county that the child support case is currently pending. If granted, then the case would move to the county specified in the order by the judge.

Paying car insurance, cell phone bills, extracurriculars, etc. will not reduce child support arrears that are based on a child support order.

Having another child may factor into the repayment plan of the arrears.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.