Child Support Based on Self Employment

If spouse is self-employed and does not report all of his income, how is this handled regarding child support calculations? I was only able to get $300 with me having our kids 60% of the time. I am now filing for full custody and would like to know how something like this is handled.

Child support can still be calculated when a parent is self-employed.

The North Carolina Child Support Guidelines define gross income from self-employment as “gross receipts minus ordinary and necessary expenses required for self-employment or business operation.”

Determining self-employment income takes careful analysis. A self-employment gross income is almost always different from what is reported on business tax returns.

If you are awarded primary custody (the children are with you at least 243 nights per year), child support will need to be recalculated using Worksheet A, which takes into account that the children are with you more than with the other parent.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.