Child support--high income

Dear zimyouknow:

Greetings. First, I would suggest that you try to work out an amount with your ex (instead of going to court) that takes into account these variables. Now, if that is not possible, there are a couple of options for the court. The court can do a guideline amount on your base income and a percentage of your bonuses. The court can also just set the amount on your overall income for a year and vary it year by year. I would suggest the percentage method to your ex, as she would probably get more and the monthly version to you, as overall you would probably pay less, but you need a complete analysis before I could finalize that advice. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Some years I have high income from some partnership investments. Other years I fall on the Child Support Guidelines. My income is quite variable from year to year. What method would a judge be likely to use to determine child support?