Child support increas

Dear mathkittycat:

Greetings. First, your friend should check the child support calculator to see what the new amount would be. He may be surprised.

On another note, the court can impute (meaning create artificially) income for the wife if she is voluntarily depressing her income in bad faith. No, if she was working before she cannot just quick her job now and get more funds.

Your friend does need an attorney though, as it is not child support enforcement’s job to help the child support payor. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My friend’s wife quit her job several months ago and is living off the child support and alimony she receives from him. She has just requested an increase in child support. Doesn’t she have to make some attempt to provide support as well? Can she receive an increase if she is making no attempt to support herself or the children?