Child support increase?


How would I go about getting more child support? I currently have an order from another state and no one lives there anymore. What do I need to do?
Thank you.


I believe that you would first have to file your existing order with NC court and then request a modification. NC child support guidelines are on the home page as well as a calculator to determin the amount that should be paid.


The first thing you will need to do is have your out of state order registered here in North Carolina. To do this you will need to obtain a certified true copy of the current order from the state that issued the same. Usually this can be done by contacting the clerk of court. You will then need to take the certified true copy to the clerk of court in the county in which you now live.
If there has been a substantial change in circumstances ( the passage of three years or 15% an increase or decrease in either of your incomes) you may then file for a modification of child support to have the same calculated here in North Carolina.


After using the calculator, I don’t think I will be able to get an increase. It is very confusing with the other children responsibilities. There will be several children involved on both sides. Do all parents income come into the equation then, including the stepparents? This ex and I both have other children with the stepparents too.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your help.


I forgot one more question. So I have to register the order in NC for an increase? I can’t get an increase from the original state anymore? That order is in Texas, my ex lives in Colorado, and I live here.


Only your income and your ex’s income are used to calculate child support. With respect to the fields for other children, that does not include children that live with you or your ex only those children you are under court order to pay support for (to another ex).
Since non of the parties live in Texas anymore you will need to register your order here and proceed in North Carolina, however child support is based on the state where the obligor lives so North Carolina would use the child Support Guidelines of Colorado.