Child Support Modification/Extraordinary Expenses

I have primary custody of my son and cut my ex a break on child support in our permanent custody order, which is about 3 years old now. It explains that we’re deviated from Worksheet A. We no longer qualify for Medicaid and my ex has become combative regarding paying for half of his insurance coverage and therapy bills. I also pay for my son to go to private school due to his diagnoses. How would I go about having the amount my ex pays re-evaluated? Since it was initially set in the order, would it require taking him back to court?

In order to modify your court order, you will have to file a motion to modify child support based on a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor child.

If you and your ex can agree on the amount then you can draft a new consent order, have each of you sign it in front of a notary, and submit it to the judge to be signed without having to appear before the judge.

If you and your ex cannot agree, then you will also have to schedule your motion for a hearing/trial date before the judge.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.