Ex's tax returns

If I think my ex has increased income and I am entitled to more child support, how can I make a motion to modify? Am I entitled to get a copy of his tax returns in support of my motion? What steps would I need to take? Do I have to wait 3 years after an initial consent order regarding child support?

A child support order can be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child. It is presumed to be a substantial change in circumstances if at least 3 years have passed since the date of entry of the original order and a 15% or more difference between the amount of child support in the original order and the amount it would be under the new order. You do not have to wait three years if a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.

When a motion to modify child support is filed and a substantial change in circumstances is determined to have occurred, both parties are entitled to exchange their financial documents.

In order to start the modification process, you will have to file a Motion and Notice of Hearing for Modification of Child Support Order and serve it on the other parent. Note that the State charges $20 for this to be filed.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.