Income change/Child Support

If you believe your ex spouse has had a substantial increase in income due to a new job, can you subpoena that information from their employer or do you have to make a motion in court first? The current child support agreement/consent order was entered into 2 years ago.

You would need to file a motion to modify child support first so there is a pending matter in which to subpoena documents.

Child support can be modified when there is a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor child(ren).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.