Child Support Question: Gross vs Adjusted Gross

I’m not fully understanding the impact for Monthly Gross Income versus Monthly Adjusted Gross Income.

I just got the signed support order in the mail. Under the “Monthly Gross Income” her’s reads $2,177.77. Mine reads $2,500.00. Under the Monthly ADJUSTED Gross Income, her’s reads $1,787.37 whereas mine remains the same at $2,500.00. I sent in my pay stubs so they have the correct information, although my actual monthly gross income was $2,488.73, but I’m not concerned with rounding up to $2,500. I’m just wondering why/how her adjusted income changed but mine didn’t and how that may or may not affect my obligated child support payment.

Apparently the judge accounted for deductions in her gross income but not yours. You will need to read the Findings of Fact section in the order to determine what facts the judge used to based his or her decision on.

Child Support Guidelines require gross income to be calculated for each parent rather than adjusted gross income. However, the Findings of Fact section and/or the Conclusions of Law section may state why the judge did what he/she did.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.