Child support question

Child support can be requested at any time regardless of if it’s before or after a divorce. They are separate issues. I would go NOW and run the calculator based on the living arragements you have now.
He can’t incorporate any type of child support or custody arrangement unless you sign an agreement. If you have already signed an agreement concerning custody, then consult a lawyer to make sure it’s what you’re understanding.

You really need to consult a lawyer to make sure you understand everything.

The child support action is separate from the divorce action, you can agree to child support at any time. A new action for child support will need to be filed.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hello, STBX has filed for divorce. He did it himself by going to the court house & getting the papers, however, I believe he will have to pay me child support due to the difference in income.(I used the calculator online to get an estimate). He THINKS we are going to split the costs of both children 50/50 since we split custody in that way but it is unfair since he makes more $, almost twice what I make. When I get the papers, should I go straight to an attorney & can there be an addendum to the current papers or will ALL NEW papers need to be done & can we do them ourselves (assuming he will agree to the amount)? Thanks so much!