Child Support


I pay child support to my ex-wife every month. I have in our divorce settlement that I have visitation every other weekend and we alternate Holidays. Before Christmas this past year I was told that my ex-wife had started seeing someone. My daughter, who was excited about spending Christmas with me, now did not want to come. It was later learned that the new guy had been in and out of the court system for various things. Since that time my ex-wife is allegedly no longer seeing him. My daughter (16 years old) still does not want to come see me, not being told why. But, with that being said, it is my daughters choice not to come see me but do I still have to pay the same amount of child support and/or can I require that she pay for her health and dental insurance? The amount I pay was a signed separation agreement and was not court ordered.


Until there is a new court order or a modification of the agreemenet changing the child support amount, you have to pay the amount that is ordered/agreed upon. It depends what your agreement says about modification of child support. Recalculations are usually based on the child support guidelines. Under the guidelines, support payments are based on the number of overnights a child spends with each parent, so you may end up paying more if you have fewer overnight visits.