Child Support

. You can fill out your modification of support forms earlier than he graduates. You may want to do so a month or two ahead so it takes effect when he graduates. You can get a letter from the school and attach it to the modification of support letter that states he is in good standing and will graduate on _______(date). We waited until she graduated and it took about 3 months to go into effect. If it takes longer you can also ask for a retroactive adjustment of support so you get money back.

You can file to modify child support on the date that you become eligible for a reduction. The reduction can be applied retroactively.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My son will be graduating from high school in June. He is already 18 and actually will be 19 when he graduates.

My question is when should I begin the process of filing to reduce child support based on his age and graduation from high school. I will still be paying for another child for quite some time, but I was wondering when I should start filing the paperwork for reduction, based on the amount of time it might take to get a hearing in court.