Child Support

Unless you and your ex have an agreement specifying something else, once they turn 18 or have graduated from high school your support - in NC - ends. What you want to do is contact the child support offices at least 2 months ahead, have a letter from the school stating the child is graduating on a certain date, and file for a modification of support. We filed in May and it took until August to get it changed, although they did reimburse for some.

OK. What steps do you take to try and get the child support extended for a child entering college at age 18?

That would probably have to have been in your separation agreement. Alternatively perhaps you can work out something with your ex to pay for some portion of expenses or college but in NC there is no obligation after 18 /graduating from high school.

Dear Running:

Greetings. Child support should end at 18, unless the child has not graduated high school, and then when the child graduates up through age 20. You can agree to pay longer by separation agreement. No, college does not keep child support going. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If a child is graduating in June at age 17, turning 18 in July and attending college in August, How long should you contiune to pay child support? Do you have to pay until they are 20 because they are entering a secondary school?