At what age does child support end?

In NC child support ends when the child has graduated high school or when they turn 18 provided they have graduated high school. Unless you have some sort of agreement to the contrary specifying continued support through college. The amount of support you receive is not impacted by your ex-'s marriage unless he/she has another child. The new spouse’s income is not a factor in your support. YOu can go to the child support calculator on this website and run the numbers.

Also if your child is still in high school at age 20, then support ends anyway. Support is until the child graduates high school or age 20 which ever occurs first.


Greetings. It will continue if the custodial parent can provide proof that the child is still in school. No, if the custodial parent decides to get married that should not affect your child support, generally. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Does child support end at the age of 18 or will it continue if the custodial parent can provide proof that the child is still in school?
Also if the custodial parent decides to get married will my child support payments decrease or is this a topic that is addressed depending upon the case history?