Child Support after high school

In NC (unless your support agreement has specified otherwise) support ends when they have graduated from high school.

Dear jennybrown:

Greetings. Your child is entitled to child support through the age of 18, and up to twenty if she does not graduate by the time she reaches 18. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My daughter will graduate in June 2007 @ the age of 17. She turns 18 in September and is going to a NC College. What are the laws regarding child support in NC (Mecklenburg Cty) for College age students regardless of who pays for college? Thanks