Child Support after High School

First off, I am not an attorney. I have seen lots of things though regarding your type of issue. Once she turns 18 AND is out of high school, child support ends. Both of those must be met before CS ceases! SO, if she graduate as a 17 year old, he will still need to pay CS until she turns 18 which is after her graduation. The sep agreement talks about college expenses etc with him paying 1/2, so to me, if she goes to college and remains under 18, he pays both CS AND 1/2 of the college…until she is 18, then CS goes bye bye but he still pays 1/2 of college…

I pay CS btw so I have researched it quite a bit…

Child support will not cease until she is eighteen years of age. You could file a motion to try and terminate support based on the circumstances, however, I am not sure how successful you will be.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husbands daughter turned 17 in September and will finish high school in December 2007. She may or may not take classes at a local community college. Will he have to continue to pay child support even after she has completed high school. She will not be 18 until next September. The seperation aggreement states he will help with half of college. Will he have to pay for half of college plus child support until she is 18 and if she choses not to take any classes will he have to pay her mother child support while the child stays at home and does nothing or maybe gets a job? Thanks for your help.