Child Support at graduation or 18th

My daughter graduates highschool 3 months prior to her 18th birthday. Does child support end upon graduation or after she turns 18?

Hi @Amypowell - while you wait for the Rosen attorneys to respond, I suggest looking it up in the statutes. Short answer - after your daughter turns 18.

Payments ordered for the support of a child shall terminate when the child reaches the age of 18 except: If the child is still in primary or secondary school when the child reaches age 18, support payments shall continue until the child graduates, otherwise ceases to attend school on a regular basis, fails to make satisfactory academic progress towards graduation, or reaches age 20, whichever comes first, unless the court in its discretion orders that payments cease at age 18 or prior to high school graduation.

Child support does not terminate until the child has turned 18 and has graduated from high school, unless a court order or separation agreement state differently. In your case, the very earliest child support could terminate is the month your daughter turns 18 since she will still be 17 at the time of her high school graduation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thanks, I appreciate you responding to my message.