Child w/ health issues

Not necessarily. If you took the child to the doctor and you feel that she needs treatment, then get her treated. I suggest a second opinion though on the specialist, since normally those co-pays are more. Why does the mother not think that she needs treatment?
If you are supposed to be splitting co-pays, pay the co-pay and request reimbursement. If her mother does not reimburse you then you would need to go back to court for that.

Have you tried speaking to her mother about this and perhaps scheduling an appointment where you can go together and speak to the doctor? If she is completely unwilling to work with you on this I would get the opinion from the doctor in writing and then get a second opinion to confirm the first. If her mother still refuses to get her the treatment she needs then you should get it and then work out the payment issue in court if she refuses to pay her portion of the bill.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I took my child took the doctor and she needs speech therapy and to see an orthopedic specialist for her feet. Her mother says she doesn’t need it. Her mother and I are supposed to be splitting co-pays until the child gets on medicaid. Is this neglect if she refuses to have the child treated?