Is this medical?


Isn’t mental health part of medical? If they would have told up front what would have been the difference? I would suggest following whatever the agreement is and make arrangements with the mental health facility to have payments made in increments. Children do go through problems with marriage and separation and you should be happy your child, especially at 13, is willing to talk to someone.


Dear SLB02:

Greetings. Yes, you are responsible for what the order says, but if I were you, I would file a Motion to Modify Child Support and a Motion to Deviate from the North Carolina Child Support Guidelines so that you can ask the court to treat your child’s ongoing, extensive medical expenses (which you are not even consulted on) as extraordinary expenses to get your child support reduced.

You may also want to file a Motion to Modify Child Custody and ask the court to make your ex consult you on these issues. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Last year my ex wife and I went “bat” regarding increased child support. During this time, her lawyer “hired” a behavior therapist for my 13 yr old son, citing that he needed help upon learning of his grandmother’s suicide (my mother) which took place many years ago.

The child support case has been resolved. My son, unbeknownest to me, has continued seeing this therapist for “issues with the father” (???) and I was sent a large bill for the co-pays. My ex wife’s lawyer has threatened to hold me in contempt as I am unable to pay this. I am not seeking legal counsel for this.

I do pay for all of my son’s medical expenses and was also sent another large bill for his orthodontic care (I will pay this, but again, was not even forewarned).

Question is, am I responsible for this mental health bill (especially since I was not advised of such)?

Thanks in advance.