Child's rights

Are you divorced? Is there a child custody agreement or order in place? If not, you do not have to let the man see your son at all! If nothing is in place, then either one of you has “equal” rights to the child, married or not, divorced or not! Until there is a legal document, each parent has equal rights! If he has the child and wants to take the child to Africa without some sort of order in place, then he can! You need to get some type of agreement or court order regarding your son.

Yes, if you go to court you will have the chance to express all of your concern. You will also be able to talk about the father’s lack of relationship with these child and all the reason’s you believe supervised visitation and parenting classes are important.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My son is 8 years old. The father and I have not been together since I had my son. He has been in an out of my son’s life. He has not came to my home to see my son since Dec of 2007. Now my son wants nothing to do with him, he won’t talk to him nor does he want to see him. Since then I have had another child, my baby is 5 months old. The father is not upset and keeps passing threats to me that he will take me son back to Africa and now he wants to take me to court for visitation and custody. I have never keep my son from him but now my son just won