Claiming our kids on taxes

We are now legally divorced & have 2 school-age children.
My ex does not work & has the kids more then 184 nights a year.
I pay child support.
We did not discuss who can claim them as part of our separation agreement.

May I legally claim the kids, since my ex has no income AND I pay child support?

You can no longer claim children as dependents for income tax deductions beginning in the 2018 tax year.

IRS rules allow for the custodial parent, the parent with him the minor children lived with for more than half of the year, to claim the children as his or her dependent.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.