Co-Signer on Education Loan for Ex-Husband

Dear Canderbe:

Greetings. Yes, you can begin paying the loan to stop it from harming your credit. Otherwise, you will have to file a Complaint against him for breach of contract. Good luck - and act soon.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am co-signer on an education loan for my ex-husband that he has not been repaying. Our separation agreement states he is fully liable for the education loan which totals over $14,000, and I am to be held harmless from this debt. The creditor continues to call and harrass me for the money because my ex never returns their calls. Of course the creditor wants their money and doesn’t care about our separation agreement. My ex-husband told me over a year ago he would refinance the loan to have my name removed, but he has never done that. Is there anything I can do so this will stop negatively affecting my credit?