Credit report


Unless the card is paid down or cancelled if it is in both of your names it will still show up on your credit report. You can contact the credit card company and explain the situation but I don’t know if that will change much.


Dear Karen King:

Greetings. You can show the lender the separation agreement which calls for him to pay all the debt and that should take care of the problem.

You NEED a separation agreement prior to the divorce. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am going through the divorce process now, my husband and I have agreed to a financial split and he is taking on the debt he incurred since our separation. The problem is, his credit card debt is showing up on my/our credit report. He has a huge debt and I have little to none. In the next 6 months I want to purchase a townhome, but this will definitely create problems. How do you handle this? Will it only be separate once the divorce is granted or can I do something about it now??? My credit card company just raised my rate due to his debt.