Confused about my out of state divorce

Can I run an ad in the paper, of her last known address, requesting a divorce? We were married in FL, but I have lived in NC since 2009. Since we split

North Carolina will have jurisdiction for you file for an absolute divorce since you have lived in NC since 2009 (the requirement is that you have lived in the State of NC for the past 6 months). It does not matter what state you were married in.

Before you can try to serve your wife by publication (legal ad), you must first use due diligence to try to locate a current address for her.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.