Contesting a Divorce that is finalized 5 days


Dear Yvet:

Greetings. No, if your husband was already granted the divorce you cannot sue for alimony and equitable distribution (which includes the division of retirement). Yes, you are entitled to child support. You may also want to check the laws in Texas.

If the divorce was not granted yet, then you still have the right to sue. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hello, My husband had a divorce granted on the grounds that we had been seperated 1 Year. I have proof we have only been seperated 6 months. I am not employed and we have two children.My lawyer missed the thirty day contestment by 1 day. Can I still sue for alimony, childsupport,retirement,etc. He is active duty military.I am a resident of Texas he pays taxes in NorthCarolina.