Filing for divorce

If he earns more money than you and you are dependent on his income to meet your monthly expenses you may be entitled to alimony. If he will not agree to this, you may need to file a lawsuit and ask the court to address this issue. When you separate all of your marital assets would be divided equally, including the assets you have accumulated in your own name.

If you would like the court to address the issue of alimony and property division you must request this before you file for divorce. If the divorce is finalized before you have addressed these issues before the court, you lose the right to ask the court to address these issues in the future.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband and I have been separated for 2 years, married 25 years.I keep asking him when will he file for the divorce since he said he didn’t love me. He keeps changing the subject, but continues to date a lot of women,he is a truck driver and my daughter says he has about 12 different women phone numbers in his cell phone.If I file for divorce will he get half of my retirement and other monies that I may have in annuity account.He says he doesn’t want the house and I can have it,but that may be just talk. He pays me child support for 1 child in the amount of 271.00 a wk. ,but he was in the hospital from Sept.21-24 and out of work for 3 mos.,because he had stop taking his medications for blood pressure for 2 years,so he came to my house and I had the ambulance come and get him because he passed out because his blood pressure was to high.Even though he pays me child support would it still be possible that I can get alimony out of him too?

darcell harvey