Court/legal costs

You can seek attorney’s fees for a custody action, but unless one party has been acting egregiously and you genuinely cannot afford your own legal fees, then you may receive an award of attorney’s fees, but it is rare. You will not receive attorney’s fees simply because you tried hard to resolve the case.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

We have been trying to resolve some custody issues since the summer w/ the ex. We have the additional time but there are some other issues that needed to be resolved in the form of an amendment or notarized agreement. We could not get ex to respond to calls or e-mails and finally had to turn it over to lawyer. We are now of course racking up legal fees and will potentially have to have a court hearing. Can we sue her for court costs since we tried SO hard to resolve this and finally just gave up when she wouldn’t respond?