Crazy Question- Divorce But Remain Together

What you’re suggesting cannot be legally accomplished within this state.

In order to get a divorce you have to separate for a year and a day and one of you has to intend for the separation to be permanent.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My wife and I have been married for a little over a year. Neither one of us believe in the “sanctity of marriage.” We just figured for legal issues, being married would be the best way to cap off our six years together. However, since day one it has bothered us. We kinda gave in to the system and social pressures. The concept of being married is just not something we agree with.

So we are considering divorce, but we want to stay together. We have no intention on separating or moving out, but we would like our marriage to be ended. How can this be accomplished or can it in this state?