Criminal conversation and alienation of affection

Dear jtettemer:

Greetings. You cannot prosecute either of them - as criminal charges are the job of the district attorney in your county. However, you may have a claim for alienation of affection and criminal conversation against the guys. You also do not have to pay alimony, as long as you can prove the incident happened prior to the date of separation. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have just today found out that my currently separated wife has had sexual relations before we were separated. This incident occured with 2 different guys (one guy only once, one guy several times). The guys whom she was with several times i found out was the reason she left me (to be with him). He has since dumped her. I wanted to know to what extent i can prosecute her and the 2 guys. I found out all of this basically from her. She told one of her friends, who passed it along to me. I am going to confront her about it and see if she will admit to anything. Any information that can be given will be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure exactly how to deal with this.