Custodial Parent moving out of state

If you don’t want to fight her then don’t. It doesn’t sound like you need to. This move is for family reasons and to better herself, not just a whim, and it doesn’t affect your visitation rights other than it’s further to go and will be more to work out. The trade off would be knowing that you allowed your daughter to get to know her grandmother. Your visits may not be as often but that could also mean that your visits are longer when they do happen.
In my opinion, you two should sit down and work out an agreement between yourselves as far as visitations and child support go. Something you both can follow and that is fair. This should also include who drives for the visitations, (I suggest either you both drive 1/2 way or she drives to drop her off with you and you take her home.) You can have this agreement notorized and it would be legal. This would be to protect all three of you. From the sound of it, you are understanding of the situation so it doesn’t sound as though it would be unreasonable. Ask her to sit down with you before the move and work out an agreement so that everything will be on paper and there won’t be anything left to chance.

Dear Guppy:

Greetings. (a) I don’t know. It seems like you believe the move is best for her and the child

(b) Of course. Get an agreement now on splitting travel costs, child support, and long term custody. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex-gf (who has custody of our daughter) has informed me verbally that she is looking at a move to another state, to be closer to her ailing mother, as well as find a better job.

I understand her reasons, and I don’t really want to fight her on this (her mother IS in possible life-and-death situation). The move in question will put her 600 miles away from me here in NC.

My questions are:

a)Should I fight this?
b)How will this affect my visitiation rights? Obvoiously I won’t get to see my daughter as often, but what is the trade-off?

Any advice is welcomed!