Custody Agreement

You would file with the courts for primary physical custody, since your custody arrangement was by agreement instead of court ordered. The court would then go through the whole custody process as though you never had an agreement. The agreement can be used in court in terms of how long it has been followed, but the court would base it’s decision on what is best for the child. As far as this goes, her moving in with her boyfriend and taking the children away from the schedule and area they are used to, will not look good for her in court…

I am assuming there is not already a court action pending, if that is the case you would file a complaint in Civil District Court and it would be a Complaint for custody.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My Ex and I have a signed and notarized custody agreement that defines our shared custody and states “neither party shall relocate the children more than 25 miles from the other party.”

Earlier this year, after having both lived in the same county, she moved into her boyfriend’s house with the kids some 50 miles away.

In what kind of court would I file a complaint and what would the headline be?