Custody change with troubled teenager

They can sign a consent order and transfer custody to the grandmother.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hello all. My brother in law and his ex wife lost custody of their children six years ago. They have since been in legal custody of the mother’s sister in Michigan. The oldest child(15)ran away Friday and they just found him last night. The person having legal custody put him on a plane this a.m. back to NC to his paternal grandmother(my mother in law)and says she wants her to have custody.The child is reporting abuse of him and his siblings. My question is what has to be done for my mother in law to gain legal custody ASAP in order to enroll him in school,etc.
Thank you for any advice.