Custody - I was never served?

If you were never served process any judgment taking your child away from you is invalid. You need to speak with an attorney regarding your specific circumstances immediately and seek relief from the judgment issued.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My child’s father and I were never married, we went to mediation, that did not work and the case was to go before a judge in Wake County, I was never notified of the hearing by the courts. My ex told me there was a hearing, I searched the court calendars online and found nothing, I was never served with anything so I took it that he was trying to scare me into signing a custody agreement that granted him primary custody, which he has tried to do before. Now I find out the judge made his ruling (by calling the court house) and still have not received anything from the courts. Her paternal grandmother and father are alienating me from my child she doesn’t talk to me, doesn’t listen or respect me. I supported her 6 years with out child support, provided shelter, food, clothing, fun,health insurance. She is with her paternal grandmother more than she spends time with her father, and 95% more than me. Her father was abusive to me in our relationship and his mother is the one that is raising child not myself or him. What can I do?? This hurts so bad please help!!

Trying to reclaim what was stolen