My child’s father and I have never been married but were in a dating relationship that dissolved approx. 14 weeks into my pregnancy with our child. He has not made contact with the child in almost 3 years, but recently threatened to pick the child up from daycare and withhold him if I did not terminate the Voluntary Support Agreement and Order. As a result, I filed a Custody Complaint and scheduled Mediation Orientation. He contacted the Mediator indicating that he had nothing to say and would NOT participate. In North Carolina, Custody Mediation is mandatory; of course, if it does not result in an agreement, the case goes before a Judge. At this point, I am set for Court in a couple of weeks and am curious about what happens next.
- Will my child’s father be held in contempt for refusing Mediation?
- What if he doesn’t come to Court, will I automatically receive an Order?
- If he does come to Court, will the Judge hold him accountable for being non-compliant with Mediation?
- How do Judges typically handle matters of Visitation in a bizarre case like this… will my child be forced to visit with him (like a stranger) without supervision or will they implement a way for my child to be introduced and build a relationship?
- If granted sole legal and physical custody, would I be permitted to initiate a legal name change for my child without the consent of his father (mind you, he does pay child support)?
Thanks for your answers in advance; loved the Webinar and all resources available here!!!