My husband and I want to fight for custody of his three children from a previous marriage. How do we go about this? The kids are in North Carolina we are in Iowa. The children have been split between grandparents of the mothers side. My husband is paying child support it is deducted from his paychecks. We would like to get some type of custody so we can see and talk to the children. Do we need a lawyer in North Carolina or here in Iowa?

Your husband would need to file a child custody action in North Carolina because North Carolina is likely the children’s home state. A child’s home state is the state in which he/she has lived for the last 6 months.