Cut Off


Yes, you can file for PSS. Also, if he has left the house then that can have an impact, as abandonment is a factor a court can use in determining alimony. If you file for PSS, the court will determine an amount he will have to pay you until such time as alimony can be established. You being a SAHM means you should be able to show you are in fact a dependent spouse. You may well be entitled to alimony down the road, but in the meantime PSS will be helpful. Equitable distribution will also help you as it will include the equitable division of the marital assets, but it can take roughy 6-9 months to complete.

He has been out of the house for several months now. He’s continuously doing “shady” things behind my back. He’s had the mailing address changed on our business bank accounts, but does not know that I am aware of this. He came to the home while I was out of town and took a truck of ours, and a motorcycle. I believe he has narcissistic personality disorder as he feels that because I am a SAHM, I have no right to anything that we own or any of the money that is in the account, though it was a join decision for me to be a SAHM.


Do file for PSS ASAP and if you haven’t received it yet, you should file for child support with DSS.

Do you have copies of all financial records from the date of separation? If you do, great. If not, lay hands on whatever you can, and place copies of them in a safe keeping place that he cannot get to. Likewise, any inventories or titles to vehicles, deeds, etc. These will be invaluable when you file for equitable distribution (i.e. ED). Basically, you are entitled to an equitable share in all assets (i.e. bank accounts, property, etc.) of the marriage at the date of separation, likewise, you are also liable for all marital debts at that date. (FWIW, even if he’s hidden the business records, you may file discovery for the production of documents, or even potentially subpoena the bank, for the financials of the business if you end up going to court for ED.) You may file for ED prior to the finalization of divorce, settle it in a separation agreement, or have the courts sort it out in divorce proceedings. Although it is harder to get stuff back after it is taken, you may be able to recoup those losses with stuff that still exists. His liquidation and closing of joint accounts probably won’t look too good for him in court.

FWIW, make sure you set up bank accounts that he doesn’t have access to, change the locks on the house, and lock down your credit so that he is unable to damage it any further. (The credit bureau can advise you on the last item.) I would also look into any documents from the IRS on divorce and/or injured spouse relief.

[size=150][color=#FF0000]not an attorney[/color][/size]