Daycare and modification of child support


Dear sallysmoot:

Greetings. First, that is fabulous that he voluntarily increased his support. Now, child care expenses that are work related are included in the child support calculation. So, go on our calculator and include yourself paying them and figure out what the right amount of support should be. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have court-ordered sole custody of our 2 yr. old son. For the last two years, my mother has taken care of him while I am at work. I have recently enrolled him in daycare.

Coinciding with enrolling my son in daycare, his father has recently experience a job change that has increase his income. On a volutary basis, he has increased his level of child support to go along with the increased salary.

When I spoke to him regarding his responsibility for paying part of the daycare expenses, he suggested that the increase in child support should cover the cost. It is my understanding that daycare expenses are a separate cost not included in the child support order and that he is responsible for the increase in his salary as well as the work-related child care expenses.

How do I get the child support amount increased to reflect the increase in his income as well as the daycare expenses so things will be “official” so to speak?

Thank you for your time and assistance.