Division of property after 12 years

Hi I’ve been divorced 12 years, my ex and I have property and a home in both of our names, he moved to another state and got remarried. Does anyone know what I need to do to get him to sell or something so I can get it out of his name, he has not paid any taxes or upkeep on the property in those 12 years, can I file for equitable distribution or is there something else I need to file for?

If your equitable distribution terms state that he is to sell the property or sign a deed or refinance the mortgage, etc. and he has not followed the terms of the equitable distribution agreement or order, then you will need to file a breach of contract lawsuit or contempt motion against him depending on what document your equitable distribution terms are in.

If your equitable distribution terms are in a separation agreement, you would need to file a breach of contract lawsuit against him.

If your equitable distribution terms are in a court order (including a consent order), then you would need to file a contempt motion against him (called a motion for order to appear and show cause).

If you never resolved equitable distribution and you are now divorced and no equitable distribution claim was pending at the time the absolute divorce was entered, you cannot file a claim for equitable distribution. You will instead need to file a petition to partition the property which a real estate litigation attorney can help with.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.