Property-MIA ex spouse

Unfortunately if your divorce has been finalized and there is no pending claim for equitable distribution, you cannot now file an action for equitable distribution and seek the division of this asset. You may be able to file an action for partition based on general property law, however I do not practice in this area.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Me and my ex wife have been divorced for sometime now, I currently live in the house that we purchased during our marriage.; I would like to know what I need to do to have her name removed from the DEED to house, as I have been making all of the payments since she moved out and have th records from the mortgage company to prove it, my issue is I have no way to contact her to discuss a buy out or signing a Quick Claim Deed. we have had no contact in close to 3 year I have no forwarding address, or phone number, I just know there is a possibility that she could be living in another state.

Your assistance is appreciated