Divorce apartment lease

My wife has abruptly decided she wants a divorce and intends to leave our jointly leased apartment 10 days prior to our intended lease renewal that has already been prepared. This presents a big financial issue for me facing paying all the bills alone and I do not believe in divorce. What are my options? Is she able to pull out of the lease renewal so abruptly?

We are located in Cary NC, married 4 years and no kids.

If she does move out, there is nothing you can do to prevent her from doing so unfortunately.

But if she does, you will want to attempt to negotiate with her to pay for all or a portion of the lease break fee or perhaps you may qualify for some alimony to help pay the monthly rent during the next lease term.

You will also want to consider the distribution of all the other marital assets like equal division of retirement accounts, investment accounts, vehicle values, and also considering how to divide debt.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.