Forgot to add,these are previous,Mobile hm. Lot rents& medication costs.His lawyer states he can counter sue for these???

Equitable distribution means that both parties are equally responsible for 1/2 the marital debt…not sure about past payments already made…and also are equally entitled to 1/2 the marital assets. She is responsible for 1/2 the debt up to the time of separation but I’m not certain that she can be forced to conpensate him for past payments.

I am in a very similar situation myself. My trailer payments have been made by my father-in-law for the last 4 months and I have been making the lot rent payments (which is the higher of the 2 payments) but he wants me to pay him back for that. We don’t have any signed agreements and I find it hard to believe just because someone walks out on you that frees them from paying at least half the bills. Good luck!

Dear abcwangfoo:

Greetings. No there is not a law that says that. There is equitable distribution and alimony laws. Read through the information on the law on the main web page and you will get a better idea of what is required. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My sister’s husband,claims that he will not sign her seperation papers.He says his lawyer told him;he can force her to pay,household bills(past ones,that are already paid) What,is the wife obligated to pay?Is there a law that states,a wife is resposable for half of bills?They were paid by him,already.