Divorce (Immediate)


I know in the state of NC I have to be separated for a year…but is there any way around that? I’m currently being emotionally abused to the point where its becoming hard to function and I believe he’s cheating. We have 2 kids together but don’t own any property.

thank you!


**** Not a Lawyer!!!
You cannot get a divorce without the year wait, but you can get a divorce from bed and board which is like a divorce to all practical purposes except you cannot remarry. After one year of separation, you can file for absolute divorce. For the emotional abuse you have fast options like requesting a restraining order.


Unfortunately there is no way around the one year waiting period. NC is a no fault divorce state and the only basis for divorce (aside from the rarely used divorce based on insanity) is a divorce based on one year’s separation.