When an action for divorce is granted the court doesn’t grant any other relief, though when you file a complaint people ask for it as a formality.

If you wish to resume your maiden name you will need to file an answer to the divorce complaint and a counterclaim requesting the court allow you to resume your maiden name.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I was served with divorce papers from my spouse for an absolute divorce.
We have already settled division of property and alimony. My question is in the divorce paper there is a sentence that says, “for such other and further relief as the Court may deem just, fit, and proper”. What does that mean, "relief as the Court may deem just, fit, and proper?"
I don’t have an attorney due to limited funds, but don’t want to get tricked by words. Also I want to resume my maiden name. How do I do that. Do I have to fill out papers of some sort or just ask when we go to court. Thanks

nancy hunt