Divorced, No ED, want to sell house



I am recently divorced. Equitable distribution was not a part of the divorce. Me and my ex’s name are on deed and only my name on mortgage loan. Thought I could get ex to sign quiteclaim deed, but he is uncooperative. What can I do now to get his name off deed so that I can sell house?


Your ex doesn’t have to sign the Quit Claim deed. If he doesn’t, he will continue to legally own half of the house, together with you as tenants-in-common. Obviously, this would give him a certain amount of control, so if he refuses to sign the deed, then you need to hire a real property attorney and possibly seek a judicial partition. A Quiet Title action may be applicable to your case, but a real property attorney would best be able to discuss with you your options in that event.