Do I have to pay for her attorney fees


A court may award reasonable attorney’s fees in a child support and/or custody action to your spouse (interested party) if they have insufficent funds to pay the cost of the action. If the action was for only child support, the court must also find that the obligor (you in this case) has refused to provide adequate support. If the court finds that the person asking for their attorney’s fees to be met, qualifies (as described above), then the decision whether to award attorney’s fees and in what amount is left to the discretion of the trial court.

Deborah M. Throm
Rosen Law Firm
1829 E. Franklin Street, Bldg. 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.265.0017 direct
919.321.0780 main voice

4101 Lake Boone Trail
Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
919.256.1544 direct
919.787.6668 main voice

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
704.644.2531 ext. 100


In the civil suit I received last week to settle the child custody and support it stated a request to the court for me to be responsible for her attorney fees. Am I really responsible for those fees?