Domestic Relation Order

Is it possible to change a Domestic Relation Order if deemed to be unlawful and misguided. I went through a divorce without a lawyer. My ex asked and was awarded the marital home. She allowed it to forclosed. They sought one half of my retirement up to 17 years. She want be awarded any thing until I retire. 30 years. Is she entitled to my 30 retirement or is she entitled to the value of it up to 17 years and whatever formula the state uses for employees that are retiring early. (17 years) As though I retired with seventeen years of service instead of 30 years of servce. The value of my retirement is far less with 17 years than than 20 years. Can I go back to court and motioned to have the wording corrected / changed?

I would need to review the order to determine how the retirement would be awarded. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to ask the court for a new trial or you may have to appeal. If you are serious about either of these, you need to consult with an attorney immediately as there are very strict timeframes for either option, and you don’t want to miss your opportunity.

Someone in the retirement office should be able to answer your question and explain to you what the DRO means in your case.