ED (Equitable Distribution) Payments Received

Generally, when a court enters an ED award they would order the property to be dealt with within a reasonable time. I would suggest you propose putting some period of time in there within which she is required to sell the home or buy you out.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Is it possible to receive Equity agreed upon in our ED prior to the sale of the house if she still lives there, is able to maintain residence and pyments herself, and has our child there as well. I wanted nothing from the divorce in ED except half the equity on the house we built together. Her consent order stated “upon sale of the residence.” That could be years down the road right? Can’t I request that the sum of the equity owed to me be paid prior to the sale of the residence. In addition there is nothing in there about not being responsible for either parties attorney fees. Shouldn’t I put that in there as well? Please advise. I am going at this alone. Attorney was too expensive. i mean she is keeping all the furniture, the house, all other gifts from teh weeding 5 years ago, the vacation property in florida. I that too much to ask for a lump sum up front? Or Should i ask for all of the equity in the house (approx. 10K)?

D. L.