Ed help

If you feel you’ve reached the end of your rope in regards to trying to get a separation agreement & property settlement done, filing for E/D is always an option.

Depending on how much is at stake, however, it may cost you more in attorney’s fees to file for E/D than your share of the marital estate is worth.

For some assets, you may be able to file an action for partition after divorce, though.

If you cannot reach an agreement, your option would be to file a lawsuit and ask the court to make an equitable distribution of your property.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am confused. If my ex will not agree on ED - he wants it all - what would be the next step? Do you have to go to court or is there anything that can be done before having to go to court. I am not asking for much, in fact it would be like a 70/30 split with him getting 70%. I just want to move on and am willing to give him most of the stuff; however, I am not willing to give him all of it. He does not want to hire an attorney and so far has done everything on his own and my attorney will not negotiate with him.